Tuesday 20 March 2018

March roundup

"Curious Long Tailed Tit"

March has been a brutal month so far, in terms of weather here in the UK, and in London. The so-called 'beast from the east', Siberian-style freezing and snow falls has worried me a lot when it comes to the effect it might have on our garden birds.

In fact, it seems I do not have to worry. The Long Tailed Tits which now inhabit our front garden - next to a major arterial road into London - are thriving. They are so used to me in the front garden that this little beauty (above) seems as curious about me as I am about him/her.

"Morning Has Broken"
After the first bout of brutal freezing snow, when the warmth returned we were treated to several days of dawn and dusk serernading by this Robin. It is amazing how loud these birds can be. In this photo the bird is about a 100 metres away and yet its voice was full and throaty.

"Black Cap and Ivy"
A bird I have only seen fleetingly is the Black Cap. This is a rather common bird in the UK but one I have never seen before in the back garden. It is attracted to the berries on our ivy. I intend to spend some time trying to get a better, close-up photograph of this bird.

"Magpies: Two for Joy"
Walking down Camden Road the other day I observed a Magpie constructing its nest in a tree right next to the busy throroughfare. I went back a couple of days later and saw both birds at one point. I don't know if the nest contains eggs, or even young but it is fascinating to see such a large corvid like the Magpie nesting in a heavy urban environment. As the nest is level with the balcony of a block of flats the residents should get an interesting view of the chicks if and when they hatch.

For me, though, March so far has all been about these beautiful Long Tailed Tits. Hopefully, I will get even more close-ups and perhaps even a look at at fledgelings if they continue to thrive.

"Taking Flight"



No comments:

Post a Comment

Balletic Long Tail Tits

In Flight - Long Tailed Tit This spring has been characterised for me by the appearance of Long Tailed Tits in the front garden. They...