Thursday 1 February 2018

Snow and a Great Spotted Woodpecker

London rarely gets snow - the last time we were 'snowed in' was back in 2009. We've had smatterings ever since and of course each time it snows for longer than five minutes the entire transport system collapses. Back in December it snowed for one day and everyone thought we were in for a white Chritsmas. It was all gone by the next morning. Still, an urban garden birder must seize the opportunity and I did my usual stint of back yard bird photography at the height of the blizzard. I was amply rewarded by this Great Spotted Woodpecker which appeared out of nowhere and alighted on the apple tree..

Unfortunately, it would not turn round and face the camera but I got a nice back shot of it glancing over his shoulder at me. This was a rare sighting for me. I have only seen a woodpecker in my garden twice before in over 10 years. I hope in the spring perhaps the bird will appear again and more regularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Balletic Long Tail Tits

In Flight - Long Tailed Tit This spring has been characterised for me by the appearance of Long Tailed Tits in the front garden. They...